Frolic

Sunday, January 14, 2018

Treadling into New Territory with a Singer 15-90

Well here's something I had never planned to do!

A couple of years ago, an elderly neighbor lady gave me this Singer treadle cabinet because she knew I liked "old" Singers.  I thought it was a cool piece of furniture and I put it in my entrance hall and plopped a bowl of seashells and a vase of flowers on top.  There it has stood ever since.

Just sitting there doing nothing

Now, I'm in a period where I have a lot of downtime and start looking around for stimulating, but ultimately useless little projects to keep me occupied.  I spied this table, and remembered that I had gifted a relative with a 15-90 in a carrying case several years ago.  Since I had more recently given her a newer model machine in a cabinet, I figured maybe she'd be willing to give me this one back - and she did.  (The 15-90 is identical to a 15-91 except that it has an external motor with a belt therefore can be treadled.)


Leather sewing machine treadle belt, $6.99 on Amazon





I bought a new belt on Amazon, and was surprised how cheap and easy to find it was!







Putting the machine into the cabinet was a snap, although I did discover that the hinge type is slight different than the ones I'm used to. It has two holes which screw each hinge into the cabinet instead of one.  I ordered a set of hinges on eBay.

Treadle cabinet hinges, $12.99 on eBay

Not bad, I've spent $20 and I've got everything I need








1 comment:

  1. I have no clue of how to do what you did differently. I just wanted to say I don't think you can weld cast iron easily or well
    Perhaps glue such as JB weld
    But then it would still rub
    What you have now is working so good job

    ReplyDelete