Frolic

Saturday, January 20, 2018

A Guide to Some of the Most Popular Vintage Singer Sewing Machines - PART I, The Classic Blacks



This is my analysis of a handful of today's most sought after mid-century Singer models.  It is not a comprehensive list, there are many that aren't included here.  I am covering only the ones I have actually owned and sewn on myself (the exception being the 222, which I have never actually even seen!) therefore, the Pros and Cons are my personal opinion.  Note: some machines have more versions than what I show here.


First I thought it might be helpful to explain some of the fundamental differences among these sewing machines. They break down as follows:

  • Two different shank types: low and slant
  • Three different bobbin types: Class 15, Class 66, Class 221
  • Three different hook configurations - which is a combination of hook type and orientation



Now we'll start with what I call the "Classic Blacks."  Here are some of the most popular models.

Singer 15-91




Singer 201-2




Singer 319w (also comes in tan)
(Note: variations of the Swing Needle include 206, 306, and 320.)



Singer 221


This brings us to the last of the Classic Blacks, and a completely unique machine.  To me, the 301 is the pinnacle of Singer machines. It ushered in a new era of completely re-engineered slant shank machines  and at the same time the black model was the very last of the beautiful black machines with gold decals. 

But around this time, Singer wanted to modernize the look- the black machines were old school, reminiscent of the Model T which Henry Ford offered in "whatever color the customer wants as long as it is black." Therefore the 301 had the black & gold version (for those who still liked the traditional style) and two more color schemes in beige tones to update the look. To this day it remains unique because it was the only machine that could be both a cabinet AND a portable model.  The 301 is truly one of a kind; it is the bridge between the models above (and many, many more of that era) and the ones that followed.  No machine ever made, however, could surpass it.  Dare I say it is perfect?

Singer 301

The beige and the LBOW (light beige/oyster white) 301s segued into the Slant-O-Matic color scheme...


NEXT..... Part II, the Slant-O-Matics  (Singer 400/500 Series)







2 comments:

  1. This is an amazing article for all the newbie of sewing machines field.
    I really appreciate your efforts, here I find the singer stylist 7258 embroidery full reviews for sewers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this great article - I will point folks to it when they have questions for me. I love this similar range of Singers - wish we lived near one another to do a meet-up! I have a 15 that I use for mending jeans and bags with heavy thread, a 201 for straight stitch and a 503 for zigzag and other stitches. If I would love to find a good 301 and trial side by side with the 201, then keep the winner.

    ReplyDelete