Frolic

Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Kenmore 158-1760

UPDATE: This was a most recent challenge which my Kenmore tackled and won (finally!) I made these denim shorts on the machine and struggled with the last step - sewing down the belt loops.  This solution worked, sewing across a folded piece of fabric and then onto the belt loop end.  So with this "win" there is still nothing this machine can't do!  




 I've been through more Kenmores than I can count in search of the ultimate model (not all of them are included on this blog.)  Every time I think I've found the best machine, I seem to find one just a little better.

Kenmore 158.17600

First, to recap, the 158.1941 is often referred to as the best machine in its category that Kenmore ever made.  And it is a very fine machine, which is why I raved about it in a previous post. It only lacks a few features to keep it from being "perfect":

1. It doesn't take cams
2. It doesn't have L-C-R needle positions 
3. No built-in buttonhole stitch

Well, as for #2, I've never seen that on any vintage Kenmore (so far, anyway.) But imagine my surprise to find that the 1760 is exactly the same machine as the 1941 but also takes cams, bringing it at least one step closer to perfect.


Yes, I can sew little duckies, trees, flowers and hearts on this machine!  (Clearly, I am easily entertained in my old age.)

When I say exactly, I do mean it is EXACTLY the same as the 1941 in every way except for the cam feature (and there is a different top thread guide to keep the thread clear of the cam lid.)
                               Kenmore 1941 (left) and 1760 are otherwise identical in every way


                  Of course one of the best features is the free arm which I use when sewing bags
                                                          Topstitching on a crossbody bag

I used to resist super high shank (SHS) machines because the feet and accessories are not as easy to come by as low shank models.  But now that I've gradually assembled a good collection of feet (supplemented by a SHS adaptor which allows you to use some- but not all - low shank feet.)  I'm more enthusiastic.

Yes, I even have the SHS walking foot, which was a splurge

I used this machine to make a blouse and enjoyed every minute of sewing on it. One thing I love is that with the straight stitch plate, you can start on the very edge of your seam with even the finest fabric and this machine doesn't choke - like most Kenmores I've used, it has excellent piercing power at slower speeds.  Although we usually use thick layers of heavy fabrics to demonstrate a machine's prowess, the performance on more delicate fabrics is just as important.  I'm pleased to say this machine handles both beautifully.  










1 comment: