Frolic

Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Bonjour from France


I don't really have anything of substance to add to my blog right now, since I'm 4500 miles away from my sewing machines for a few months.   My "sewing room" is now reduced to a little sewing kit I brought along and my "sewing" has been limited to the occasional mending of my clothing or sewing on a button. 
My "Sewing Room" for the next few months!

But I still can't resist taking pictures of old sewing machines even in France.  I was surprised to see a couple of Singer stores like the one above - there is actually one in Paris as well this one here in Amiens.  But sadly they are both closed.  "à louer" = "for rent".  




 No vintage machines here, but I still thought it was a good picture.  What probably sounds very ordinary in French  - "machine à coudre" - sounds kind of cool to me, but then again that is true for almost anything in French.  ;)


This one I saw in the window of an alterations shop in Metz.  Naturally I thought it was charming and made my companions stop while I took a picture of it.  


Best of all was the YARD SALE!  Or as the French call it, "vide grenier" which means "empty attic" which again sounds much more charming than "Yard Sale".  There, among some military relics, including what looks like some helmets from the First World War (this town is near the border of France and Germany), was a vintage Singer.    

I'm not even sure what make this is, but cute.


Well, that's all I have to offer for now - a few random photos.  I just wanted to add a post so the blog won't completely die of neglect while I'm gone.  

A+  (which means "see you later")



No comments:

Post a Comment