Frolic

Friday, April 4, 2014

Vintage Hankie Dress



I've done a couple of posts about vintage hankies and little projects I can do with them.  But until now I haven't actually made one into a garment.

I forgot to take a picture of the hankie before I started, but I decided to use it as the bodice of a toddler Easter dress.  Since it was such a sheer fabric, and because it had scalloped edges that didn't quite fit the pattern pieces, I fused it to a lightweight cotton.
  Then I zz-ed around the edges to make sure it stayed put.
Made the little dress from McCalls 6017.  The purple sateen cotton was bought on Etsy.
And best of all found a seersucker fabric that EXACTLY matched this 50-60 year old handkerchief!  I was absolutely thrilled when I found it at Hancock.  They couldn't have matched better if they were designed to go together!  
So I used it for the flounce.  Adorned with yellow rick-rack which is just about my favorite thing in the whole world (I love yellow and I love rick-rack!)


I always dreaded the thought of cutting up one of my hankies, but I love this little dress so much I might actually take the plunge and do it again!  (Hankie I used is in the middle of this picture.)


Easter Dress Number Two:  McCalls M4817.   My nod to vintage sewing here is the old Boiltex Rick Rack from the 1940's.  I've had it in my stash for quite a while waiting for just the right project to use it.  I LOVE the color!  And it worked perfectly here.   My attempt at an applique wasn't perfect, but if you don't look TOO closely, its not bad.  ;)

Oh...and the back zipper is also from my stash of mid-20th century notions.  It is an old metal Talon zipper "Orient Blue".  Again, it perfectly matched the blue in this fabric print.
I also got to have some fun with my ruffler attachment on these dresses.  I used it for the bottom flounces on both of them because they are so long - 130" on the pink one - that it would have been difficult to gather it and keep the gathers even.  So instead I have nice, perfectly pleated ruffles.  Love!


3 comments:

  1. Love, love, love this whole post!!!!! I guess I'm not the only one that snags old zippers and rick-rack!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes. I like this. Sew glad I stumbled upon your blog.

    Cheers,

    Lyric
    http://www.sewcroandquilt.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many ideas for hankies here!
    http://www.nanaluluslinensandhandkerchiefs.com/Articles.asp?ID=257

    ReplyDelete