Frolic

Saturday, May 11, 2024

The White Featherweight - Why Would You Want One?

 I never really wanted a white Featherweight until one just "happened" to come my way.


I tend to go through phases in sewing machines: 

  • The Black Straight Stitching Singer phase (15-91, 201, 99, 221, 127, 301), 
  • The Slant-O-Matic phase (401, 403, 404, 500, 503), 
  • The Style-O-Matic/Fashion Mate phase (237, 328, 338)  
  • The Touch & Sew phase (600, 600e, 603.) 
  • The Swing Needle Phase (a couple of 319s) 
  • The oddball model here or there - an Atlas, an Elna, a Wizard
  • Countless Kenmore 158 machines

(Recently, I've begun clearing the decks and I've sold all except a handful of my all time favorites.)

But a White Featherweight has never been on my radar until I started going through my current phase which is compact size machines.

Already having the black 221, the Genie 354 and the Mini Kennie 1050, I kind of wanted to round out the collection with a white Featherweight just to see what all the hype is about. 

I'll make this short and sweet, it is VERY pretty.  But it isn't of the same quality as a black Featherweight.  It does not sew quite as nicely - and you'll have to take my word for that, it's like driving a car, you just "feel" it.  There is a kind of cheaper feeling to the whole machine which isn't to say at ALL that it isn't high quality, but it's a step down from the original 221. 

Verdict: the "WOW" factor is the looks - this is one really pretty machine.  It sews fine, nothing wrong with it, but it just doesn't send me. 




No comments:

Post a Comment