Frolic

Tuesday, February 15, 2022

Kenmore 158.17741 - It's The Bomb

As I've branched out into vintage Kenmore machines in the last couple of years, many models have come and gone.  Some I didn't even bother to review, I just dusted them off and passed them on. 

But after cycling through a number of Kenmores of various configurations I can tentatively say I have found the WINNER.  (And if this changes, I will certainly come back and update!)

Kenmore 158.17741

Before I cover the features of this machine, it is worth noting that one of the TOL Kenmores of this era was the 1803.  And while I've never seen one of these machines in person, from what I gather this is very similar except for a few minor things such light switches and location of the spool pins.  However, the 1803 is super high shank and the 1774 is low shank*. 

(I'm not sure, but possibly the 1774 has more built-in stitches since it has both white and green "special" stitches.) 

As of now - with all the machines I've owned past and present - this is my Number One Go-To machine.  It has the most extensive set of features and most powerful motor of any machine I own.  

FEATURES:
  • Low shank/center homing 
  • Vertical oscillating hook/Class 15
  • Twin needles
  • Feed dog drop
  • Reversible straight stitch/zigzag needle plate
  • Presser foot pressure adjustment
  • Extra high presser foot lift
  • Built-in stretch stitches
  • Takes C-cams/double cams (reverse stitch patterns)
  • Easy "pop-out" clutch release 
  • Powerful 1.2 amp motor
  • 1000+ spm 
AND...

Yes, this machine is all that and a bag of chips!  (The ONLY thing missing is three-needle positions and/or a built-in buttonhole stitch. However, you can use a buttonholer attachment with it.)


And to top it all off, my machine came in this cabinet that opens out to a whopping 62" of workspace, plus three drawers.  This is a full-on Sewing Center with everything I need.

Here is the most recent project I sewed on this machine.  I make a lot of bags, and bags have a lot of layers and some thick seams.  I never heard one peep out of this machine as it soldiered through whatever I asked it to sew.

Pattern by Bagstock Designs
Not only does this machine sew fast @ 1000+ spm, it makes a PERFECT straight stitch. 
This is worthy of any straight stitch Singer which is usually the Gold Standard for straight stitching.


So while I'll always be partial to vintage Singers for the nostalgia value and its serious pizazz,  I have to confess that when I actually sit down to SEW, this is the machine I turn to 9 times out of 10.



*In my book, that makes this one BETTER - I don't care for SHS machines since the feet are more expensive and difficult to find.  Even an adaptor doesn't give you access to the full range of feet.



No comments:

Post a Comment