Frolic

Monday, February 3, 2020

Singer Touch & Sew 600 - It Chain Stitches!

I pulled this ad out of a magazine several years ago, and already had it in my collection!
Well, I have finally ventured into the 600s.  This is a model I've had an eye out for just because it has some unique features.  Like most of the machines I've bought, I never wanted one badly enough to seek it out directly, or pay much for it.  But I found this one, with the cool mid-century cabinet I've been looking for, at a thrift store.   Couldn't pass that up!

Singer Touch & Sew 600e

The table needs a little work, the top is rough, but I love this mid-century look


All the Touch & Sews are not created equal.  The earliest ones, the 600 for sure, have metal gears.  Some of the later 600s "might" have metal gears, and I'm not clear on exactly when the transition to nylon gears was complete but it was somewhere along this line.

If you're not sure, just take a look underneath.  

This is what you're looking for!  (There is also a top gear set, so you can use a screwdriver to remove the top cover and check those if it's easier.)


This early Touch & Sew is similar in many ways to the 401.  It has the same lifting throat plate (in fact they are interchangeable) and it has a similar stitch selection system except with levers rather than a dial.  If you're used to the 401, you'll be comfortable with this machine.  But there are two unique features that made me want to try the Touch & Sew: chainstitching and the wind-in-place bobbin.

    Self-winding bobbin in Touch & Sew


 This is pretty cool, and easy to do.  A caveat:  the bobbin must be empty when you wind it.  It unscrews into two parts so you can easily pop out the old thread rather than do the long, tedious unwind.  On the other hand, you don't have to worry about releasing the clutch on the hand wheel to wind your bobbin, you don't even have to take it out of the machine at all!


Then there is the chain stitching feature which I've been wanting to try. (More on the chainstitching feature HERE.


Chain stitching on the Touch & Sew

Will I ever actually USE chain stitching?  I highly doubt it.  But I still wanted to give it a try just to say I can.  I could use it for fitting muslins (which I never even do, BTW!)  Or maybe it would come in handy for costuming when you want temporary fitting seams to accommodate various people.  It would be great for basting except that there are several steps you have to take to set the whole thing up so you'd only bother to do it for a big job.  Anyway, my little video shows how you do all that.








5 comments:

  1. For $24. I’d take one too! Nice videos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last night it was a lucky one.My wife was hunting on fb marketplace and found a senior couple 22 miles away posting it for $25 only .We got it and it was really well taken care of and complete. It worth the trip. Good luck finding one.

      Delete
  2. Hello! I also purchased this 600 model with the cutest little MCM table! This is my first sewing machine (other than helping my Mom use hers when I was young...I'm now 47 and sadly she is long passed). Is there any way that you can post a detailed video on how to thread this from start to sew? I've only found a couple videos of this exact machine on line and none are good at showing what I've requested. I'd be super grateful! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's simple to thread, maybe you can look at the photos to see the thread path, it's pretty intuitive. If you have trouble, though, there are sites where you can download a free manual. Manuals Lib is one, for example. Enjoy your "new" machine!

      Delete
  3. Bonjour!

    I have an early 600, with the bobbin engagement button on the far right side instead of under the plate.

    It sews fine but I actually prefer my 411G (that can also chain stitch) because it is smoother running and starts slowly.

    Keep in mind the chain stitch has been used for decades for the outside seams of jeans pants and is strong enough for that task.

    I read that historically, the chain stitch was used in jeans because it is faster to remove in order to open the leg to mend or patch the front panel that gets most wear.

    In my view, the downside of the touch and sew bobbin winding system is that you cannot wind a new bobbin at the same time as you are sewing. You need two spools to sew and wind a bobbin at the same time but you would save time if you had a big job like for quilting.

    Daniel

    ReplyDelete