Frolic

Sunday, February 24, 2019

Singer Genie 354 - It's a Powerful little Portable!



Here is a machine with a funky 1970s vibe that makes you smile just to look at it.  The Singer Genie (this is the 354 with the added stretch stitch.)

So besides the cool retro orange and yellow flower design, what does this machine have going for it?  








Well, for one thing, it has one of the most cleverly designed carrying cases I've ever seen.  








It has an antennae-like spool pin that retracts when you put it in the case.


And look how cleverly the controller and power cord are stored underneath


Skipping to the relevant part, though, here is how it sews.  It is quieter and smoother and even a little faster than I would have expected since it actually has a timing belt - or drive belt, I guess - rather than gears.  


Here it is sewing buttonholes with a Singer Professional Buttonholer 


It makes acceptable stitches with only four built in stitch patterns including zigzag, blind stitch, multiple zigzag, and stretch stitch.  That's all she does!

 Acceptable straight stitch 

The machine does a surprisingly good satin stitch!  (I used a satin stitch foot - not included with the machine - for best results.)  Since it has three needle positions, you can make pretty nice four-step buttonholes if you don't have the buttonholer




It has four built-in stitch patterns, but no cam system for additional stitches



It works passably well with the flower stitch foot.  So what can be more fun than making flowers with this Flower Power sewing machine!



Specs:
  • Low shank 
  • Comes with ankle adaptor presser foot which takes snap-on feet
  • Four stitch patterns
  • Three needle positions
  • Enclosed bobbin winding mechanism (you have to remove the housing - which involves quite a number of screws - to get inside to change the bobbin winder tire or to oil the machine.)
  • Class 66 plastic drop-in bobbins
  • Raising plate system to bypass feed dogs 
  • push and release button for reverse stitching 
This is actual an awesome little travel machine.  For a solid, full-sized sewing machine, it is compact and surprisingly light.  I have taken this machine on an airplane twice - one as a carry on and once I just chucked it in my checked suitcase.  The hard shell self-carrying case protected it perfectly and the built-in handle made it easy to transport.  

11 comments:

  1. I've been looking at one of these but it, too, is priced a bit high. Maybe I'll wait and see if it goes down and then buy it. It sure is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had one as a kid, my mother got it for me so she could use her machine again. Over the years I moved on to fancier machines but some chemicals spilled on it and became rusted so bad I couldn't get the hinged case open. Thinking I should get it out of my basement and let go of my sentimental attachment. Oops I ended up buying one on ebay, taking a chance on it for $35 with no pedal(mine was good). The plastic was hardly discolored like mine and they were using the wrong bobbins. I got it sewing fairly well since I had a lot of bobbins. I just don't know if I should have a Singer dealer check it over. Anyway it is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just bought one. Paid $55 on Goodwill auctions. Prices are going up because strong demand for machines right now to sew masks. Out of town right now. Left mine at home. Anxious to get sewing here and I learned on this machine. Never felt as comfortable on anything else. I am hoping this one is in good shape internally so I can sew some things I need for my apartment!
    Now I need some needles. What foots can I use with this machine other the the flower foot you mentioned?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have had mine since the early 1970s and it was functioning well until I stressed it with making 170 masks (so far). It is in the shop now, and I hope it will be functioning again soon. I love my Genie!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First husband bought one for me Fall of '75; used it for 35 years until the upper tension mechanism needed its third repair and the foot control finally died altogether. Miss it; got a machine with a cased bobbin which I hate plus don't like the one-step buttonhole feature. Researching machines carefully now to get one with a drop-in bobbin and a better buttonhole system. Have noticed that on the newer machines that vulnerable upper tension mechanism is covered.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have one and it is super cute. I just have some issues with tension. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one and it sure is cute. I have had some issues with tension. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can try looking for an Andy Tube video, I think he shows this machine and how to do some repairs to it.

      Delete
  8. The bobbin just pops out with no need to remove any screws. My tension is always on 3 one of my favorite machines out of 5 so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Got one for my college graduation in 1978. Still works. In fact, my mother had a fancy, much more expensive machine, but she liked my Genie so well that I ended up buying her one on Ebay. She & her drapery-making friend both loved it.The ladies are gone now, but the Genies are still here....

    ReplyDelete